We’re here to help you find the Berkeley trash pickup schedule for 2023 including bulk pickup, recycling, holidays, and maps.
If there’s a change to your normal trash collection schedule then there’s a good chance your street sweeping schedule has changed too so make sure to check for updates.
Berkeley Trash Collection Calendar 2023
For normal trash collections schedules, visit https://berkeleyca.gov/city-services/trash-recycling/residential-waste-services
Trash Pick Up Holidays
Here you can see the city-observed holidays.
- New Year’s day
- Christmas day
If your scheduled collection falls on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, or New Year’s Day, your pick-up will happen on the day after the holiday.
Berkeley Trash Collection Map
Bulk Waste Pickup Calendar 2023
To find your bulk item pickup schedule visit: https://berkeleyca.gov/city-services/trash-recycling/pre-paid-bags-bulky-waste-and-mattress-recycling
Acceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Bulky household trash (all small items must be bagged or boxed)
- Painted or stained wood smaller than 5′ (bundle wood pieces, cut doors in half)
- Rugs rolled at 5′ lengths up to 12″ diameter
- Small, non-programmable appliances (less than 50lbs and without a circuit board)
- Sinks and toilets (separate tank from toilet base to reduce weight)
- Bed frames
Unacceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- No hazardous waste (e.g., treated wood, motor oil, pesticides, cleaners, paint, propane tanks, etc.)
- No recyclable mattresses (see section below about mattress pickups)
- No large appliances, refrigerated appliances, electronic waste, or programmable appliances (e.g., stoves, refrigerators, televisions, microwave ovens)
- No universal waste (e.g., batteries, mercury devices, fluorescent light bulbs, etc.)
- No items longer than 5′ or heavier than 50lbs (sofas okay)
- No construction or demolition debris
- No ammunition
- No rocks, dirt, or concrete
- No tires or auto parts
- No recyclables or organic waste (please use recycling and compost carts for regular weekly pickup)
Have bulky items the city won’t pick up? You need a junk removal service.
If you have large items that the city won’t take from you, you may need to hire a junk removal service.
Junk removal services are not be as picky about the items they’re collecting so if the city won’t take the item, this may be your best bet. There’s usually a fee involved with junk removal but most companies can tell you ahead of time approximately what it’s going to cost.
There are a number of junk removal services in Berkeley and I’m sure many of them will be able to help you out.
Recycling Collection Calendar 2023
Here’s the link to the recycling collection calendar: https://berkeleyca.gov/city-services/trash-recycling/residential-waste-services
Frequently Asked Questions
When is bulk pickup in Berkeley?
To find your bulky item pickup in your area visit: https://berkeleyca.gov/city-services/trash-recycling/pre-paid-bags-bulky-waste-and-mattress-recycling
What day is trash pickup?
To find trash pickup on your street visit: https://berkeleyca.gov/city-services/trash-recycling/residential-waste-services
What time does trash collection start?
Trash collection starts at 7 a.m. Make sure to have your bins on the curb by then.
How can I contact the Berkeley Zero Waste Customer Service?
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (510) 981-7270
Did we miss anything?
Hope you were able to find everything you need for the Berkeley trash pickup schedule. We strive to provide the most up to date information so please let us know if you need anything else.