We’re here to help you find the North York garbage pickup schedule for 2024 including bulk pickup, recycling, holidays, and maps.
If there’s a change to your normal garbage collection schedule then there’s a good chance your street sweeping schedule has changed too so make sure to check for updates.
North York Garbage Collection Calendar 2024
For normal trash collection schedules, click this link.
Garbage Pick Up Holidays
Collection days often change on and around a bank holiday. Details of changes are published on the city’s holiday collections page.
North York Garbage Collection Map
Bulk Waste Pickup Calendar 2024
The City will pick up oversized items set out beside your garbage bin on your garbage collection day.
An annual fee for this service is charged to each house and multi-residential unit, regardless of whether or not the service is used. The fee is based on the cost to collect, process and dispose of these items. It allows the City to offer convenient and economical pickup of oversized and metal items eliminating the need to take them to a depot, book an appointment for pickup or pay a private hauler.
Acceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
Oversized & Metal Items:
- Box springs, furniture, lamps, luggage, mattresses, patio furniture, skis, toilets, etc.
- Appliances, barbecues (no propane tanks), bed frames, bicycles, furnaces, hot water heaters, metal bath tubs, storage sheds, etc.
- Place items next to your Garbage Bin for pickup while ensuring 0.5 metre between items
- Remove doors from refrigerators, ovens and other appliances
- Tie down sofa bed frames so they don’t spring open
- For furniture or mattresses infested with bed bugs, wrap them completely in plastic and set them out on your scheduled collection day.
- Dismantle or separate loose or large heavy items (i.e. remove cabinet shelving etc.)
Carpets & Underpads:
- Roll, cut and tie carpeting into bundles
- Bundles must not be longer than four feet and not weigh more than 20 kg (approximately 44 lbs)
- Place items next to your Garbage Bin for pickup while ensuring 0.5 metre between items.
Artificial Christmas Trees:
- Trees must be free of bags, tinsel, ornaments, nails, tree skirts and stands
- Place tree next to your Garbage Bin for pick-up
- Clear tree of snow and ice
Unacceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
Household Hazardous Waste:
- You may drop off propane tanks, syringes, cooking oil, household cleaners, paint, pesticides, batteries, etc. at a Drop-Off Depot.
- Home pickup is available for household hazardous waste between 10-50 litres/kilograms. To arrange pickup, please call 311 or complete an online service request.
- There is no fee for drop-off or pickup of household hazardous waste, with the exception of fluorescent tubes over a certain quantity.
Construction, Demolition & Renovation Waste:
- Baseboards, bathtubs, cabinets, countertops, doors, drywall, fencing, insulation, lumber, plaster, roof shingles, siding, tiles
- Take these items to a Drop-Off Depot or find a private company to dispose of material
- Some renovation material may still be useful. Find out if and where it can be donated for reuse.
Rubber tires (on or off rims) are accepted at the following Drop-Off Depots:
Have bulky items the city won’t pick up? You need a junk removal service.
If you have large items that the city won’t take from you, you may need to hire a junk removal service.
Junk removal services are not be as picky about the items they’re collecting so if the city won’t take the item, this may be your best bet. There’s usually a fee involved with junk removal but most companies can tell you ahead of time approximately what it’s going to cost.
There are a number of junk removal services in North York and I’m sure many of them will be able to help you out.
Recycling Collection Calendar 2024
Here’s the link to the recycling collection schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is bulk pickup in North York?
To find your bulky item pickup in your area, click here.
What day is trash pickup?
To find trash pickup on your street, click this link.
What time does trash collection start?
Trash collection starts at 7:00 a.m. Make sure to have your bins on the curb by then.
How can I contact the North York Customer Service?
TTY: 416-338-0TTY (0889)
Outside city limits phone:
Email: [email protected]
Did we miss anything?
Hope you were able to find everything you need for the North York garbage pickup schedule. We strive to provide the most up to date information so please let us know if you need anything else.