We’re here to help you find the Salem VA trash pickup schedule for 2023 including bulk pickup, recycling, holidays, and maps.
If there’s a change to your normal trash collection schedule then there’s a good chance your street sweeping schedule has changed too so make sure to check for updates.
Salem VA Trash Collection Calendar 2023
For normal trash collections schedules, visit https://salemva.gov/405/Sanitation-Division
Trash Pick Up Holidays
Here you can see the city-observed holidays.
- Martin Luther King Day – Monday, January 16
Monday trash will be collected on Tuesday (1/17).
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 29
Monday trash will be collected on Tuesday (5/30)
- Juneteenth – Monday, June 19
Monday trash will be collected on Tuesday (6/20)
- Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4
Tuesday trash will be collected on Wednesday (7/5)
- Labor Day – Monday, September 4
Monday trash will be collected on Tuesday (9/5)
- Veteran’s Day Observed – November 10
Friday trash will be collected on Thursday (11/9)
- Thanksgiving – Thursday, November 23 and Friday, November 24
Thursday trash will be collected on Monday (11/20)
Friday trash will be collected on Tuesday (11/21)
- Christmas Week – December 25
Monday December 25 trash will be collected on Tuesday (12/26)
- New Year’s Day – January 1
Monday trash will be collected on Tuesday (1/2)
Salem VA Trash Collection Map
Bulk Waste Pickup Calendar 2023
To find your bulk item pickup schedule visit: https://salemva.gov/395/Bulk-Collection-Policy for find the collection day for your bulk waste.
Acceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Household appliances large enough to pose a threat for entrapment to a child must have the door removed or secured in such a way that the door will not close. They must also be empty and those capable of containing compressed gas must have the gas evacuated prior to collection.
- Brush and tree trimmings and other vegetative debris that is consistent with normal residential yard maintenance will qualify for bulk waste collection if the debris is generated on the property containing a single or multi-family dwelling.
Unacceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Debris consistent with land clearing or excavation
- Dirt, rock or any type masonry debris
- Hazardous Materials
- Gas Cylinders
- Fuel Tanks
- Fuel Cans
- Items too large to be safely handled by the City’s collection equipment
- Items used in industrial process or commercial application
- Vehicle parts
Have bulky items the city won’t pick up? You need a junk removal service.
If you have large items that the city won’t take from you, you may need to hire a junk removal service.
Junk removal services are not be as picky about the items they’re collecting so if the city won’t take the item, this may be your best bet. There’s usually a fee involved with junk removal but most companies can tell you ahead of time approximately what it’s going to cost.
There are a number of junk removal services in Salem VA and I’m sure many of them will be able to help you out.
Recycling Collection Calendar 2023
Here’s the link to the recycling collection calendar: https://salemva.gov/416/Recycling
Frequently Asked Questions
When is bulk pickup in Salem VA?
To find your bulky item pickup in your area visit: https://salemva.gov/395/Bulk-Collection-Policy
What day is trash pickup?
To find trash pickup on your street visit: https://salemva.gov/405/Sanitation-Division
What time does trash collection start?
Trash collection starts at 6 a.m. Make sure to have your bins on the curb by then.
How can I contact the Salem VA Public Works Department?
1228 Indiana Street
Salem, VA 24153
Did we miss anything?
Hope you were able to find everything you need for the Salem VA trash pickup schedule. We strive to provide the most up to date information so please let us know if you need anything else.