We’re here to help you find the Kitchener garbage pickup schedule for 2023 including bulk pickup, recycling, holidays, and maps.
The City of Kitchener is in Ontario Canada, with Waterloo to the north, Hamilton to the southeast, Guelph to the east, London to the southwest.
If there’s a change to your normal garbage collection schedule then there’s a good chance your street sweeping schedule has changed too so make sure to check for updates.
Kitchener Garbage Collection Calendar 2023
For normal garbage collections schedules, visit https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/living-here/the-waste-whiz.aspx
Garbage Pick Up Holidays
Here you can see the city-observed holidays.
- Christmas: Monday, December 25th, 2023
- New Year’s Day: Monday, January 1st, 2023
Green bin, blue box and garbage collection will be delayed by one day following these two statutory holidays.
Kitchener garbage Collection Map
Bulk Waste Pickup Calendar 2023
To find your bulk item pickup schedule visit: https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/living-here/bulky-items-and-appliances.aspx for find the collection day for your bulk waste.
Acceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Items that do not fit into a regular garbage bag/can.
- Bundles that are no more than 90 centimetres (3 feet) in length and no heavier than 23 kilograms (50 pounds). Note: Each bundle counts as one item.
- One single item that weighs less than 90 kilograms (200 pounds).
- Items that are within the limit.
This can include:
- Appliances, such as a stove, dryer, dishwasher: Remove doors or tape them shut.
- Artificial Christmas trees, and natural Christmas trees after our special Christmas Tree collection program is over.
- Carpet, scrap lumber: Remove tack strips/nails. Tie and bundle, no more than 90 centimetres (3 feet) in length and no heavier than 23 kilograms (50 pounds). Each bundle counts as one item.
- Furniture: Do not dismantle. Ensure all pieces (cushions, shelves, etc.) are secured.
- Water softeners: Empty the salt and drain the liquids. Note: Resin tanks are not collected. Ask Waste Whiz for details.
Unacceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Electronic waste, BBQ tanks, and other banned items like ammunition
- items that are too big/heavy (pool table, piano, cast iron bathtub, etc.),
- Hazardous/sharp items such as wood with exposed nails,
- Items above the Bulky Item limit, and
- Items set out with “free” or “for sale” signs on them.
Check with the Waste Whiz to see if your item is collectable and how to prepare it for collection.
Have bulky items the city won’t pick up? You need a junk removal service.
If you have large items that the city won’t take from you, you may need to hire a junk removal service.
Junk removal services are not be as picky about the items they’re collecting so if the city won’t take the item, this may be your best bet. There’s usually a fee involved with junk removal but most companies can tell you ahead of time approximately what it’s going to cost.
There are a number of junk removal services in Kitchener and I’m sure many of them will be able to help you out.
Recycling Collection Calendar 2023
Here’s the link to the recycling collection calendar: https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/living-here/landfill-and-recycling-centre.aspx
Frequently Asked Questions
When is bulk pickup in Kitchener?
To find your bulky item pickup in your area visit: https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/living-here/bulky-items-and-appliances.aspx
What day is garbage pickup?
To find garbage pickup on your street visit: https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/living-here/the-waste-whiz.aspx
What time does garbage collection start?
garbage collection starts at 7 a.m. Make sure to have your bins on the curb by then.
How can I contact the Kitchener Public Works Department?
Region of Waterloo Waste Management
925 Erb Street West, Waterloo, Ontario N2J 3Z4
Did we miss anything?
Hope you were able to find everything you need for the Kitchener garbage pickup schedule. We strive to provide the most up to date information so please let us know if you need anything else.