We’re here to help you find the New Haven trash pickup schedule for 2023 including bulk pickup, recycling, holidays, and maps.
If there’s a change to your normal trash collection schedule then there’s a good chance your street sweeping schedule has changed too so make sure to check for updates.
New Haven Trash Collection Calendar 2023
For normal trash collections schedules, visit https://www.newhavenct.gov/government/departments-divisions/parks-and-public-works/trash-recycling
Trash Pick Up Holidays
Here you can see the city-observed holidays.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- Presidents’ Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Italian-American Heritage Day
- Veterans Day
- Christmas Day
Trash & Recycling will not be picked up on official City Holidays. Instead, pick up will be a day later. For example, if a holiday is on a Monday, Monday’s route will be collected on Tuesday and the rest of the week’s routes will all be a day later than regularly scheduled.
New Haven Trash Collection Map
Bulk Waste Pickup Calendar 2023
To find your bulk item pickup schedule visit: https://www.newhavenct.gov/government/departments-divisions/parks-and-public-works/trash-recycling/bulk-trash
Acceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- weight limit for your bulk trash pile is 750 pounds (about a small pickup truck load of items)
- up to four tires (rims removed)
- two major appliances (washer, dryer, refrigerator, etc.) State law requires that all doors must be removed from all appliances.
Unacceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- No yard waste (grass, branches, leaves, or any other vegetation)
- No household hazardous waste materials (Chemicals, cleaners, solvents, paints, aerosol spray, motor oil, oil-based products, batteries, chemical containers, etc.)
- No corrugated cardboard boxes or recyclable items These items are collected on regular refuse collection days.
- No construction or demolition debris (wood, fencing, roof shingles, sheetrock, masonry, toilets, tubs, sinks, etc.) Bring these items to the New Haven Transfer Station for disposal. A charge of $0.05 per pound is assessed.
- No electronics (TV’s, computers, radios, microwaves, air conditioners, etc.)
- No textiles (Linens, clothing, shoes, belts, hats, handbags, curtains, etc.)
- No toys
Have bulky items the city won’t pick up? You need a junk removal service.
If you have large items that the city won’t take from you, you may need to hire a junk removal service.
Junk removal services are not be as picky about the items they’re collecting so if the city won’t take the item, this may be your best bet. There’s usually a fee involved with junk removal but most companies can tell you ahead of time approximately what it’s going to cost.
There are a number of junk removal services in New Haven and I’m sure many of them will be able to help you out.
Recycling Collection Calendar 2023
Here’s the link to the recycling collection calendar: https://www.newhavenct.gov/government/departments-divisions/parks-and-public-works/trash-recycling/recycling
Frequently Asked Questions
When is bulk pickup in New Haven?
To find your bulky item pickup in your area visit: https://www.newhavenct.gov/government/departments-divisions/parks-and-public-works/trash-recycling/bulk-trash
What day is trash pickup?
To find trash pickup on your street visit: https://newhavenct.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Minimalist/index.html?appid=d56f55aba26c462fb7ee8b10c67c9775
What time does trash collection start?
Trash collection starts at 7:00 a.m. Make sure to have your bins on the curb by then.
How can I contact the New Haven Public Works Department?
Phone: (203) 946-7700
Address: 34 Middletown Ave., New Haven, CT 06513
Hours: Monday – Friday (7:00am – 4:00pm)
Did we miss anything?
Hope you were able to find everything you need for the New Haven trash pickup schedule. We strive to provide the most up to date information so please let us know if you need anything else.