We’re here to help you find the Fairfax County trash pickup schedule for 2023 including bulk pickup, recycling, holidays, and maps.
The City of Fairfax County is in Virginia with Washington and Alexandria to the east, Richmond to the south, Cincinnati to the west.
If there’s a change to your normal trash collection schedule then there’s a good chance your street sweeping schedule has changed too so make sure to check for updates.
Fairfax County Trash Collection Calendar 2023
For normal trash collections schedules, visit https://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/public-works/operations-division/refuse-recycling/single-family-townhouse-services
Trash Pick Up Holidays
Here you can see the city-observed holidays.
New Year’s Day • Monday, Jan. 2, 2023 (observed) – No collection
Tuesday, Jan. 3 — Monday & Tuesday routes collected
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day • Monday, Jan. 16, 2023 – No collection
Tuesday, Jan. 17 – Monday & Tuesday routes collected.
President’s Day • Monday, Feb. 20, 2023 – No collection
Tuesday, Feb. 21 – Monday & Tuesday routes collected
Memorial Day • Monday, May 29, 2023 – No collection
Tuesday, May 30 – Monday & Tuesday routes collected
Juneteenth • Monday, June 19, 2023 – No collection
Tuesday, June 20 – Monday & Tuesday routes collected
Independence Day • Tuesday, July 4, 2023 – No collection
Monday, July 3 – Monday & Tuesday routes collected
Labor Day • Monday, Sept. 4, 2023 – No collection
Tuesday, Sept. 5 – Monday & Tuesday routes collected
Veterans Day • Friday, Nov. 10, 2023 (observed) – No collection
Thursday, Nov. 9 – Thursday & Friday routes collected
Thanksgiving Day • Thursday, Nov. 23, 2023 – No collection
Friday, Nov. 24 — Thursday & Friday routes collected
Christmas Eve • Friday, Dec. 22, 2023 (half-day, observed)
Friday, Dec. 22 — Regular collection
Christmas Day • Monday, Dec. 25, 2023 – No collection
Tuesday, Dec. 26 – Monday & Tuesday routes collected
Please note: yard waste & debris collection may be delayed due to holiday collection schedule. Please leave items at the curb until they are collected.
Fairfax County Trash Collection Map
Bulk Waste Pickup Calendar 2023
To find your bulk item pickup schedule visit: https://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/public-works/operations-division/refuse-recycling/single-family-townhouse-services/trash-guide
Acceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Normal Household Trash: up to 60 pounds
- Animal Waste: bag all animal waste to reduce odors
- Diapers: bag diapers to reduce odors
- Building Materials: small amounts of debris, not from a contractor, must be placed in trash cans weighing no more than 60 pounds
- Medical Needles & Sharps: to protect the health and safety of the trash collection crews, place all needles and sharp objects in a thick plastic container with a screw-on cap labeled “SHARPS”
- Glass: if you are unable to drop off glass at one of the regional purple can club bins, glass should be placed in the trash. For more information on glass recycling in Fairfax City, visit the glass recycling webpage.
- Sawdust: secure sawdust in plastic bags
- Loose Packaging Material (Shredded paper): secure loose packaging and shredded paper to prevent accidental litter
- Cold Ashes: make sure ashes are cold to prevent fires, secure in plastic bags
- Materials and household appliances too large to fit in a waste container (such as furniture, stoves, water heaters, air conditioners, refrigerators, car parts, microwaves, storm doors, windows, etc.)
Remove doors from appliances for safety.
Unacceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Recyclables: all residents and businesses are required to recycle
- Hazardous Waste
- Brush, Yard Waste, and Leaves
- Solid waste from any work done by a contractor
- Aerosol Cans (full or partially full): Aerosol cans that have contents left in the container can accidentally explode during the collection and processing
- Batteries: do not place batteries in the recycling or trash bin to avoid fire hazardsHot Ashes
Visit the Household Hazardous Waste Disposal webpage for specific disposal information
Have bulky items the city won’t pick up? You need a junk removal service.
If you have large items that the city won’t take from you, you may need to hire a junk removal service.
Junk removal services are not be as picky about the items they’re collecting so if the city won’t take the item, this may be your best bet. There’s usually a fee involved with junk removal but most companies can tell you ahead of time approximately what it’s going to cost.
There are a number of junk removal services in Fairfax County and I’m sure many of them will be able to help you out.
Recycling Collection Calendar 2023
Here’s the link to the recycling collection calendar: https://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/public-works/operations-division/refuse-recycling/single-family-townhouse-services/recycling-guide
Frequently Asked Questions
When is bulk pickup in Fairfax County?
To find your bulky item pickup in your area visit: https://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/public-works/operations-division/refuse-recycling/single-family-townhouse-services/refuse-recycling-route-finder
What day is trash pickup?
To find trash pickup on your street visit: https://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/public-works/operations-division/refuse-recycling/single-family-townhouse-services/refuse-recycling-route-finder
What time does trash collection start?
Trash collection starts at 7:00am. Make sure to have your bins on the curb by then.
How can I contact the Fairfax County Refuse & Recycling?
Email: [email protected]
Did we miss anything?
Hope you were able to find everything you need for the Fairfax County trash pickup schedule. We strive to provide the most up to date information so please let us know if you need anything else.