We’re here to help you find the Des Moines trash pickup schedule for 2023 including bulk pickup, recycling, holidays, and maps.
If there’s a change to your normal trash collection schedule then there’s a good chance your street sweeping schedule has changed too so make sure to check for updates.
Des Moines Trash Collection Calendar 2023
For normal trash collections schedules, visit https://www.dsm.city/departments/public_works-division/garbage_collection/index.php
Trash Pick Up Holidays
Here you can see the city-observed holidays.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (There is NO DELAY in garbage collection services on Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
- Memorial Day (Your pickup will be delayed one day due to the holiday)
- Juneteenth (There is NO DELAY in garbage collection services on Juneteenth)
- Independence Day (Your pickup will be delayed one day due to the holiday)
- Labor Day (Your pickup will be delayed one day due to the holiday)
- Veteran’s Day (There is NO DELAY in garbage collection services on Veterans Day)
- Thanksgiving Day (Your pickup will be delayed one day due to the holiday)
- Christmas Day (Your pickup will be delayed one day due to the holiday)
- New Year’s Day (Your pickup will be delayed one day due to the holiday)
Des Moines Trash Collection Map
Bulk Waste Pickup Calendar 2023
To find your bulk item pickup schedule visit: https://www.dsm.city/departments/public_works-division/garbage_collection/recycling_collection.php
Acceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Paper – Newspaper, magazines, junk mail, shredded paper (in a paper bag), cardboard (flattened), paper and hard back books & phone books.
- Food Cartons – Paper milk cartons, juice cartons, protein drink cartons, wine cartons, egg substitute cartons, soup & broth cartons.
- Plastics – Plastic containers with twist-off lids, water bottles, soap bottles (rinsed), yogurt & margarine tubs (no lids).
- Cans – Aluminum cans, tin cans, steel cans, bi-metal cans, jar lids, aerosol cans (empty).
- Glass – All colors of glass food containers, beverage containers, non-food containers.
Unacceptable Items for Bulk Pickup
- Plastic bags of any kind
- Food storage containers
- Sour cream, cottage cheese and cool whip containers
- Berry containers
- Convenience store cups
- Yard and garden waste
- Hazardous waste
- Electronic waste (e-waste)
- Containers that once held motor oil or antifreeze
- Paper contaminated with food
- Pizza boxes
- Fast food containers
- Coated paper coffee cups
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels/napkins
- Photo paper
- Aluminum foil
- Pots, pans or utensils
- Metallic, foil, mylar or glittery gift wrap
- Clothing of any type
- Pipes (PVC or metal)
- Light bulbs
Have bulky items the city won’t pick up? You need a junk removal service.
If you have large items that the city won’t take from you, you may need to hire a junk removal service.
Junk removal services are not be as picky about the items they’re collecting so if the city won’t take the item, this may be your best bet. There’s usually a fee involved with junk removal but most companies can tell you ahead of time approximately what it’s going to cost.
There are a number of junk removal services in Des Moines and I’m sure many of them will be able to help you out.
Recycling Collection Calendar 2023
Here’s the link to the recycling collection calendar: https://www.dsm.city/departments/public_works-division/garbage_collection/index.php
Frequently Asked Questions
When is bulk pickup in Des Moines?
To find your bulky item pickup in your area visit: https://www.dsm.city/departments/public_works-division/garbage_collection/recycling_collection.php
What day is trash pickup?
To find trash pickup on your street visit: https://www.dsm.city/departments/public_works-division/garbage_collection/index.php
What time does trash collection start?
Trash collection starts at 7 am. Make sure to have your bins on the curb by then.
How can I contact the Des Moines Public Works Department?
Did we miss anything?
Hope you were able to find everything you need for the Des Moines trash pickup schedule. We strive to provide the most up to date information so please let us know if you need anything else.